Setting the path to reaching 0.7%, and securing the votes that enshrined that target in law, is one of Labour’s greatest achievements and is helping transform the lives of millions of people every year. Yet the Tories want to cut our aid to 0.5%, just at the time when aid is needed to prevent the further spread of COVID and protect people’s jobs and livelihoods.
Because the 0.7% target is protected by law – this Tory government will need to win a vote in Parliament before they can make this cut. We have a chance to stop them – if we can convince enough Tory MPs to rebel.
You can help by writing a letter to them as their constituent to persuade them to do the right thing. Suggested talking points are below, but do remember that a personalised message will have more impact.
Suggested talking points:
- 940,000 fewer children a year will be supported to gain a decent education.
- 7.6 million fewer women and girls a year will be reached with modern methods of family planning.
- 2.0 million fewer people a year will be reached with humanitarian assistance.
- 5.6 million fewer children a year will be immunised and 105,000 lives a year will not be saved.
- 3.8 million fewer people a year will be supported to gain access to clean water and/or better sanitation.